Welcome to EFFA
About EFFAThe European Flavour Association was established in 1961 as "Bureau de Liaison des Syndicats Européens des Produits Aromatiques". In 1991 however, it changed its name and was then known as the European Flavour and Fragrance Association (EFFA).
2009 saw EFFA change its scope to focus only on flavourings. The principle reasons for this decision were twofold: The need for a more flavour-specific advocacy approach, and the increasing number of challenges facing the flavour industry.
EFFA's members are essentially flavouring companies that manufacture or blend flavours within the countries of the European Economic Area, comprising national associations from across the European Union, the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) as well as those countries that have applied for EU-membership.
EFFA's mission is to protect and enhance the flavour industry's interests for the common benefit of its members and partners. Its objectives are the following:
- To promote and support a consistent European-wide strategy on flavour issues;
- To monitor flavour-related EU legislation;
- To stimulate, coordinate and monitor best practice in regulatory, safety, technical and scientific issues;
- To create networks and alliances with other European Associations;
- To coordinate approved European work streams and projects;
- To provide coordination and communication between members.
At global level, EFFA is a member of the International Organization of the Flavor Industry (IOFI).
EFFA news20.01.2016 Union List of Flavouring Substances amended Two Commission Regulations have been adopted on 19 January and published on 20 January 2016 amending the EU Union List of Flavouring Substances:
• Commission Regulation (EU) 2016/54: relates to the authorisation and inclusion of a new flavouring substance: gamma-glutamyl-valyl-glycine [FL-no: 17.038];
• Commission Regulation (EU) 2016/55: relates to the removal of footnotes, correction of names and specifications of some substances and the establishment of restrictions of use for one substance. 02.10.2015 Adoption of EU Regulation removing p-mentha-1,8-dien-7-al from the Union List Commission Regulation (EU) No 2015/1760 removing the Flavouring Substance p-mentha-1,8-dien-7-al (perilla aldehyde) from the Union list has been adopted and published in the Official Journal on 1st and 2nd October 2015, resp. 23.07.2015 On the Publication of EFSA Opinion FGE.208 Rev1 EFSA published opinion FGE.208 Rev1 related to p-mentha-1,8-dien-7-al. Read our press release here 22.04.2013 Union List Part A (List of Flavouring Substances) applies! The List of flavouring substances (published in Implementing Regulation (EU) No 872/2012) officially applies since 22 April 2013. All flavouring substances listed in Annex I Part A of Regulation (EC) No 1334/2008 may be used throughout the 27 countries of the EU in and on foods. 31.01.2013 Conclusions of the SCoFCAH Meeting on Article 16 (4) 02.10.2012 List of flavouring substances published ! 02.10.2012 PR on the Publication of the List of Flavouring Substances EU adopts and publishes the List of Flavouring Substances in the Official Journal 02.10.2012 PR on the EFFA Information Day on the Union List on 27/09/12 On 27th of September, 2012, EFFA (European Flavour Association) organised an Information Day about the EU “Union List of Flavourings and Source Materials”. 05.07.2012 UK Flavour Association Launch The UK Flavour Association has been unveiled at a launch event in London 25.04.2012 PR on the vote on the List of Flavouring Substances EU Member States endorse the List of Flavouring Substances in the Standing Committee on the Food Chain and Animal Health (SCoFCAH) Read all EFFA news
EFFA events27.09.2012 EFFA Information Day about the Union List. What does it mean for you and your business? More information Read all EFFA events
Other events09.09.2014 Food Ingredients Regulations Food Ingredients Regulations
9 - 10 September 2014
Crowne Plaza Barcelona
Barcelona, Spain 10.10.2015 Regulatory challenges on innovation in food
From the 8th to the 10th of October, EFFA participated on a workshop and a
conference about Regulatory challenges on innovation in food organised by the European Commission on the occasion of the Milan EXPO. Read all other events